Makes 36 cookies, 10 mg Azuca CBD each
1¼ cup whole hazelnuts or blanched almonds
½ lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter
⅓ cup + 7 tsp white sugar
3 Tbsp Azuca CBD sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp lemon zest
1 cup seedless jam of choice
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F. On a baking sheet, toast hazelnuts or almonds. Toast until lightly golden. If using hazelnuts, toast for about 15 minutes, or until skins darken and split. Then pour nuts onto a clean dish towel and rub until skins come off.
- Place toasted nuts, without skins, into a food processor or chop into medium-fine crumbs.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and Azuca CBD sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Add eggs and beat until combined. Add vanilla and beat again.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, nuts, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and cinnamon, if using. Then add to butter mixer. Beat slowly at first to prevent the dry ingredients from flying out, then increase the speed until no streaks of flour remain.
- Gather dough into a ball, wrap and place in freezer until very firm, at least 20 minutes.
- Flour a clean surface, then roll out the dough until 1/8” thick.
- Using a 3” heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut 72 cookies from the dough.
- Separate 36 of your hearts and using a 1” heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut a smaller heart in the center of each.
- Place all 72 cookies (you may also bake heart cut-outs, but because they are smaller will take less time in the oven. We recommend you bake these separately) on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake about 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread 1 tsp of jam on top of your large hearts. If your jam is difficult to spread, heat in the microwave for a few seconds or beat with an electric mixer until less viscous.
- Dust powdered sugar on cookies with the cut-out center. Then place on top of the jam hearts to form 36 cookie sandwiches.