Pan de Muerto
Source: Mely Martinez
Makes 16 servings, 25 mg Azuca CBD each
4 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp Azuca CBD sugar
2 Tbsp Active-Dry yeast
½ cup white sugar, plus a little more for garnish
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
6 Tbsp margarine, room temperature
5 large eggs
Orange zest from 2 oranges
1 tsp orange blossom water (optional)
4 Tbsp warm water
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine 4 eggs, salt, ¼ cup white sugar, Azuca CBD sugar, and mix for 2 minutes using the hook attachment.
- While mixing, add the flour in 1 cup additions, alternating with the warm water. Add the Active-Dry yeast and mix well.
- Add butter and margarine (reserving ½ Tbsp of each) then orange zest and orange blossom water, then ¼ cup white sugar. Mix well between each addition until a soft dough is formed.
- On a floured work surface, knead the dough until smooth, and then knead for a couple more minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with reserved margarine and place dough inside. Cover with plastic and let sit in an off oven or proving drawer until it doubles in size (about 1 hour).
- Dump out your dough on your floured work surface and separate about 10 oz of dough.
- Cut remaining dough into 17 equal portions and grease 2 baking sheets with reserved margarine.
- Form each lump into a tight ball by gently rolling the dough under your palm on a lightly floured surface. Place on prepared baking sheets with 2” between balls. Gently press the balls to create discs.
- Roll the remaining dough into 32 little logs and 16 tiny balls.
- Beat remaining egg and 1 Tbsp of water to make an egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash on each disc and place two logs on top in an X and the tiny ball in the center of the X. Set egg wash aside.
- Cover baking sheets with plastic wrap and allow to sit in an off oven or proving drawer for about 2 hours, or until the buns have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add a pinch of salt to egg wash and brush the full surface of each bun. Place in oven and bake until golden brown (about 15 minutes). Transfer to a cooling rack and let sit until room temperature.
- Melt remaining butter and brush onto cooled buns. Then sprinkle with a little white sugar and serve.