Lemon Box Pie
Makes 8 slices, 25 mg Azuca CBD each
For the Shortbread Cookie Crust:
8 oz of shortbread cookies
7 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp white sugar
For the filling:
¾ cup white sugar
5 tsp Azuca CBD Sugar
Peel from 2 lemons, sliced into thin strips
⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350° with a rack in the middle position.
- In a food processor, pulse shortbread cookies until crumbs are medium-fine in appearance. Add coconut oil and sugar and continue to pulse until thoroughly incorporated.
- Press crumbs firmly into and up the sides of a 9” pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes (or until golden brown). Remove from oven and allow the crust to cool completely.
- Combine ½ cup white sugar and 5 tsp of Azuca CBD sugar with ⅓ cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once sugar is completely dissolved (about 1-2 minutes), remove syrup from heat and add lemon peel strips. Cover saucepan and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove lemon peels from syrup then toss strips in remaining ¼ cup white sugar and spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet to dry.
- Whisk lemon juice into syrup and chill in refrigerator.
- Once lemon syrup is chilled, pour into large bowl and whisk in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold whipped cream into the lemon syrup until completely incorporated and no streaks of whipped cream remain.
- Pour filling into prepared crust, smoothing the surface with an off-set or rubber spatula.
- Scatter the sugar-coated lemon peel over the top of the pie, press into the surface of the filling lightly.
- Freeze the pie, uncovered, for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Let the pie sit at room temperature for 4-5 minutes before slicing. Dipping your knife into hot water will make cutting into this frozen treat easier.