Makes 6 servings (1 cup per serving), 25 mg Azuca CBD each
6 cups popped popcorn or ¼ cup popcorn kernels
½ Tbsp vegetable oil (if using popcorn kernels)
¾ stick or 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp Azuca CBD Sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
Pinch baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 250°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- If using popcorn kernels, place a couple of individual kernels in a large saucepan with the vegetable oil. Turn the heat to medium and wait for the tester kernels to pop. Once they have, add the rest of the kernels to the pan, place a lid on the top, and with protected hands, shake the whole pot so as to coat all the kernels in hot oil. Replace the saucepan on the burner and let pop. Occasionally agitate the pan to allow for even cooking. Once the sound of popping has dissipated, remove the saucepan from heat and empty the popcorn into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once melted, stir in the brown sugar and the Azuca CBD sugar. Increase the heat a little bit and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 3 minutes while scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring constantly. If you have a candy thermometer, the sugar mixture should read between 250°F and 300°F by the time it is done.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add vanilla, baking soda, and salt to the sugar mixture while stirring constantly. The mixture will bubble up, but if you have a large enough saucepan, this shouldn’t be an issue. Keep stirring until the bubbles recede and a thick, shiny caramel sauce has developed.
- Gradually pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn while stirring. Make sure all the popcorn gets evenly coated with sauce.
- Spread the coated popcorn out on your prepared baking sheets and bake for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes to break up large clumps. Allow to cool to room temperature and serve!