Source: Bubby’s Homemade Pies
Photo: Bubby’s Official
Makes 8 servings, 25 mg Azuca CBD each
For the pie crust:
5-6 Tbsp ice-cold water
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
11½ Tbsp very cold, unsalted butter
For the filling:
5 cups blueberries, cleaned and sorted
¾ cups sugar, plus extra for sprinkling on top
4 tsp Azuca CBD Infused Sugar
¼ cup corn starch
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp orange liqueur (optional)
1 lemon, zested
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Tiny pinch ground cloves
3 Tbsp cold butter
- Make the crust: Combine flour and salt in a large bowl or a food processor.
- Cut butter into ¼” cubes and place in the freezer for a few minutes to ensure the butter is at its coldest. Toss cold butter cubes into flour, breaking up any cubes that are stuck together and coating them all well with flour.
- Using a pastry cutter or a pulsing food processor, cut butter into the flour until the butter bits are the size of peas (at the largest) and lentils (at the smallest). Chill again for a few minutes.
- If using a food processor, dump contents into a large bowl at this point. Add ice-cold water 1 Tbsp at a time to the flour-butter mixture, tossing together with light, upward motions, working the dough as little as possible.
- Continue adding water, judiciously, until there are no more loose floury bits and a ball can be formed easily. If the ball crumbles apart, sprinkle a little more ice water into the mixture and toss again. The dough should be just barely tacky and cool to the touch. If the dough is very sticky, soft, warm, and wet, start the process over.
- Divide the dough into two slightly uneven-sized balls. Wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. It should be quite firm but not rock hard.
- Roll out the smaller ball of pie dough on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin. Start in the center of the ball and roll outwards in all directions (like a clock). Frequently flip the dough and re-flour if necessary to prevent it from sticking to your surface. Line a 9” pie tin with one crust, and chill in the refrigerator while making the filling.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large bowl, toss together blueberries, sugar, Azuca CBD Infused Sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, salt, cloves and orange liqueur (if using).
- Scrape filling into the bottom crust, and dot with cold butter.
- Roll out a slightly larger ball of pie dough and cover filled bottom crust. Trim and crimp the edges, then chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Take the pie out, cut several slits into the top crust and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake the pie on a lipped baking sheet for 10-15 minutes, until the crust looks blistered and blonde. Turn the oven down to 375°F, and bake for at least 30 more minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the juices bubble thickly through the slits in the crust.
- Allow pie to cool completely before cutting. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or crème fraîche.